Horse ornament

I don’t know how many of you use Pinterest, but I do to organize projects I want to try. Sometimes I’ll get a notice that one of my pins has been repinned. When that happens, my curiosity always makes me look to see what it was. Sometimes, it is a project I pinned a long time ago and have forgotten.

That was the case with this little horse ornament. I used some of the synthetic corks that I have in my stash, and a bamboo skewer cut into smaller pieces for the legs and neck. As I was working on it I realized two things. First, hot glue does not stick to synthetic cork the was it does to natural cork. And second, it would probably be nicer if I were to drill holes into the cork body and then insert the skewers rather than having the little gobs of hot glue show at the joins. This might also help with the hot glue not sticking to the synthetic cork issue.

What I ended up with is  an ornament that seems too fragile to withstand the test of time. (The one back leg is already a bit wobbly despite a second application of glue.) But…if I were to use natural cork and spend a few extra minutes to drill a few holes for the legs, I believe this could be a viable ornament. I am also thinking that using brown yarn for the tail, figuring out some antlers plus adding a tiny red pompom for a nose could result in a fairly passable Rudolph ornament.

Advertisements