Archives for posts with tag: paint

I tried a different TAD early this morning and it was a big craft fail. I had seen cute votive holders on Pinterest made out of old CDs and since I have several of those ancient AOL CDs they used to give you pretty much everywhere, I thought I’d try it.

This was the result:

Craft fail

Not the look I was going for

I suppose I could count it as my thing for the day, even if it is a horrible botched thing, but I still had time, so I made something else instead.  Raiding my stash of champagne corks, a tic tac toe game was created. The original post where I got the idea had the corks decorated as a snowman and reindeer inspired by the Frozen movie. I may be the last person in America who has not seen the movie, and decided  to just paint them in solid colors.

Tic tac toe

They do need a second coat of paint, but the cats got too curious and I figured if I tried today there would be purple paw prints all over my house.

 

sea glass

Many times I see a project on Facebook or Pinterest and click through only to find there are no instructions provided, or very general ones. One of my non-crafty friends sent me a photo of glass candlesticks painted to look like sea glass and asked if I could help her make them. The instructions only said “mix Elmer’s glue with food coloring and paint on glass”. When I started Googling, there were many blogs that had the photo, but they all pretty much said the same thing: they had seen the photo but could not find the original post with instructions.

They had all tried their own versions of creating this magical paint with varying success. The two I saw most frequently used either straight glue, or glue mixed with a little bit of water to thin it out.  I decided to try it both ways and pulled out a few jelly jars to experiment.

The jar on the left was using just glue. I used about 2 tablespoons of glue, 3 drops of blue food coloring and 2 drops of green. Painting with a foam brush, I found it difficult to get a thin coat, but some of the tutorials said that you don’t have to worry about streaks, they disappear when the glue dries. They did not.

For the jar on the right, I added some water to the mix. This was much easier to paint on, and did have less streakiness when it dried, but it did not disappear completely. It is closer though, and gives me hope that eventually I’ll find the right mix to create the look.

ring

It was a busy and productive weekend here. The forecast called for it to be rainy or overcast so staying home and getting things done seemed to be in order. There was much weeding, some sewing, spending time with dads to celebrate Father’s Day, and we are nearing the completion of the Great Radiator Cover Project.

Building the radiator covers is not my project, but my husband’s. I have been assisting here and there, mainly in the “could you hold this while I glue/cut/lift it” category.  This weekend, the realization hit that when the new covers were in place, the old, painted pipes that feed into and out of them would be exposed, and something needed to be done about their appearance. You can’t have shiny new radiator covers and have paint-chipped dirty pipes coming out of the sides.

Our house is oldish, it was built in 1928, and every home project we undertake starts with removing old chipped paint. Eighty years of old paint. (Fun fact…every room in our house has at some point been painted green based on getting down through the layers. I often wonder if some family had them all painted green at the same time.) I’ve stripped paint from old doors, woodwork, ceilings, and windows. It is one of those jobs I don’t mind doing. There is something very satisfying about it. On wood, I generally use a heat gun, but the tool that worked best for the metal radiators ended up being a screwdriver. You use what works.

The radiators have been stripped, primed and repainted. I think I’ve gotten all of the little paint chips off of me and we are almost ready for the final push.

cork

It was gloomy and overcast all day. I thought it would be a good change to do some crochet since the weather was on the cool side. When I did finally sit down, the sun came out. I popped outside to soak some up while crocheting, and the yarn mojo left me. I needed something to do. And wanted it to be a project I could do outside.

I seem to be on a coaster kick lately. I have a couple of packages of these round cork discs I got from Ikea. They were purchased for a specific project I saw Martha Stewart do involving beaded coasters. She made it look easy. I  did not and abandoned that project.  Through the years, I have found uses for these pieces of cork, so I’m gad I have them in my stash.

I was just playing around with these using painters tape and some gold acrylic paint. I’ll have to see how they hold up to a damp glass.