Pillowcase

I saw a blog post the other day about making trimmed pillowcases. It was like a light bulb went off. I have fabric, I have a box of old trim handed down to me. I could give it a go.

The first fabric I pulled out was this big flower print.  It just reminded me of sheets I might have had when I was growing up. The colors and print are completely out of style, but they make me smile. I had gotten it at a used fabric sale, and it cost me a whole dollar for a yard of it. It is marked “Peter Pan Fabrics” in the selvage, and although I could not find that exact print on google, while searching I learned it was a popular fabric line back in the 60s and 70s.

It was easiest to use an existing pillow case as a template, although there are many sites that will give you the measurements to cut.  I did cut it too short, only allowing myself about an inch of fold over for the hem at the top, but I will go back into my stash and find a border fabric that can be added to it. Matching the colors may be a bit of a challenge.

The blue ric rac trim was a last minute addition. Because I had messed up the hem, I felt the case needed a little something added to it.  I’ve never sewn ric rac on before, and didn’t quite get it centered. It’s a learning process.

Making the case was so easy, I started a pink and white striped one. I got the case part sewn (with proper hem this time), but ran out of time to play with some fun trims. They are all jammed and jumbled together in a box, so some ironing would need to be done before I could get to the sewing.

If you are like me, you use more than 2 pillows on the bed. Since sheet sets only come with 2, I’m always scrambling to find an extra case (or 2 or 4), and now I can whip some up and start using some of the fun fabrics I’ve been collecting, I stopped worrying about matching all the pillow cases on the bed years ago.

Advertisements